to Leamington Town, Lockheed Leamington and AP Leamington the Windmill
Ground was situated on the Tachbrook Road, just outside of Whitnash,
as illustrated on the old Leamington A-Z map on the right.
The ground began its life known simply as the "Tachbrook
Road Ground" with the first "Leamington FC" match
taking place in late September, 1891, between "Leamington
Association Football Club" and Queen's College Birmingham.
By 1913, when Leamington Town moved back to the ground (after using
various sites around the town), it had been renamed as "The
Windmill Ground", taking the name of the Pub adjacent to its
site. The Pub (which still stands) had taken its name from the
fact that a Windmill once stood at the site.
In 1937 Leamington Town fell foul to money matters,
the club was voluntarily wound-up, and the Windmill Ground was sold to
Coventry City. Coventry paid £1,739 6s and 8d for the ground
which was to be used for their 'A' team. During the 2nd World
War the ground also hosted Forces matches.
Lockheed, the company situated opposite the Windmill
Ground, formed a club in 1946 called Lockheed Leamington and bought
the ground back from Coventry City to house their team.
It was after this time that the ground saw most of
its development work - stands, terracing, etc. The floodlights
were installed in 1965. By its demise it boasted a 440 seater
stand running half the length of the Tachbrook Road side. At the
left hand side (looking from the pitch) were the changing rooms.
the right, and extending behind the northern goal, was terracing. The
terracing gradually faded into a gently sloping gravel bank that
continued round the other 2 sides of the pitch. The north end
was covered, as was a very small section of the embankment opposite
The stated capacity of the ground was 5,000 - with
cover for 1,600 spectators. The clubhouse (built in the late
1970s) sat behind the stand, up towards the northern end of the
A 1st Round FA Cup tie, vs Stafford Rangers in the
1975/76 season, saw the largest attendance at the ground. 3,200
turned up to see Stafford triumph 3-2.
the ground owners, Automotive Products, struggling financially,
property developers AC Lloyd purchased the ground in 1985.
The final league match at the ground was on
16th April, 1988 against Walsall Wood. The match ended 2-2,
Duncan Gardener and Tony Graham the scorers for Leamington. The
honour of being the last scorer at the Windmill in a
"proper" game fell to a Walsall player, Roper, who equalised
at 4.13 pm in front of the 500 crowd. The Leamington line-up
that day read Graham, Stout, Montomery, Overton, Sykes, Gardener,
Myton, Watkins, Gow, Hathaway and Singleton. The manager was
The final match played at the ground was between
teams managed by two old (AP) Leamington managers a "Farewell
to the Windmill Ground".
Where the ground once stood there is now a housing
development. The turnstiles were sold to VS Rugby and of the
some stand went to Stratford Town. The
floodlights, originally from Manchester City's Maine Road ground, were
sold to a security firm.
Floodlight picture (left) taken from The
Leamington Courier 175th Anniversary Special.
Ariel shot of the Windmill part of the
Other photos (c)Dave Twydell 1995 - taken from
a "Gone but not Forgotten" (Part 6) by Dave Twydell
(also the source of many facts of this article).