League & Cup Results 2001/02
home -> leamington fc era -> results 2001/02 -> match report
Burtwood Town 0 Leamington 3 - 29/12/01 - Midland Combination Division One
Taken from the Leamington Courier Online

Brakes had to battle hard to overcome an uneven pitch and a resilient Burntwood Town for their last match of the year.

With the score still 0-0 at half-time, it looked like the team would succumb to a stronger physical side.
But a free kick by Harj Dhesi in the 54th minute broke the deadlock with late goals from Josh Blake and Baz Shearsby allowing Brakes to dominate the last 20 minutes of the game.
Chairman Mick Brady returned to the sidelines for his first match since a double hip replacement.
Long wet grass and fallen leaves did not help the condition of a pitch which, despite the best efforts of Burntwood's groundsmen, resembled a ploughed field.
Captain Brian Agar showed good control and combined well with Steve Thompson to get past a packed Burntwood defence.
Some early chances were missed with Glen Webb heading against the post and a Thompson drive narrowly missing the bar as it was deflected over from a corner shot.
The second-half saw an increasing number of free kicks awarded to Brakes as Burntwood fought to stem the tide.
Thompson was tackled five-yards outside the box in the 54th minute, letting Dhesi take a quick free kick to place the ball in the top corner.
Stuart Hepburn came on for Webb, making his first appearance this seasons after dropping out of playing Saturday matches for family reasons.
Brakes stepped up their game with Thompson getting close twice while Jonny Burgess kept the momentum going.
With Tom Sidwell strong in defence, it looked as if Brakes were safe but a save by Richard Morris in the 62nd proved a warning sign for Brakes who immediately began to reclaim control.
Agar was given off-side for a shot at the net but there was no doubt about the second goal from Thompson.
Brakes were up another goal within two minutes from a Burgess throw via Agar and Blake to Shearsby.
With Brakes on top, Agar and Thompson were replaced by Neale Perry and Guy Rippon, who was denied two goals within his first minute.
Battling conditions making it hard for a passing side, Brakes left it late to establish control and win the game.