League & Cup Results 2001/02
home -> leamington fc era -> results 2001/02 -> match report
Leamington 3 Mile Oak Rovers 1 - 29/09/01 - Midland Combination Division One
Taken from the Leamington Courier Online

Leamington 3 Mile Oak Rovers 1 STRIKER Paul Eden scored a hat-trick on his home debut as Brakes stretched their unbeaten league run to nine games at the New Windmill on Saturday.

A penalty 20 minutes from time completed the scoring following two first-half strikes. It was a gritty, well-deserved win by Barry Proctor and Jason Cadden's men, only marred by the dismissal of Guy Rippon for violent conduct in the closing stages.
The victory, Brakes' sixth of the Midland Combination Division One campaign, strengthened their claim on second place in the table. It was a satisfactory performance, according to Cadden.
"It wasn't the best, but it was three points. And what can you say about the goals? They were all great finishes," he said.
Mile Oak took the lead on 14 minutes, capitalising on a moment of defensive uncertainty with a free header past the reach of Richard Morris. Benson Miyoba had hit the post after combining with Josh Blake moments earlier, but it was Eden who seized the moment. Finding time and space as Blake, Miyoba and Steve Thompson unsettled the defence with a string of incisive runs, the ex-Racing Club Warwick man coolly finished from outside the box after spotting the keeper off his line.
Mile Oak worked hard, but failed to capitalise on Brakes' mistakes and occasional slowness when chasing loose balls. Eden punished them on 41 minutes, collecting a cross from the influential Nick Mort before shooting on the turn.
Blake's pace and Thompson's tireless work on the left created the bulk of Leamington's second-half chances. The Mile Oak keeper was carried off with concussion after one close, accidental encounter with the young striker.
Thompson's efforts were finally rewarded on 70 minutes, when the referee pointed to the spot following a tackle on the edge of the box. Eden was the obvious choice to take the kick and made no mistake, shooting low into the right-hand corner.
With little malice in the game, the dismissal of Rippon and a Mile Oak striker for fighting came as something of a surprise. The pair clashed as Mile Oak waited to take a corner.
Substitutes Darren Timms, Neale Perry and Ian Billington helped steady the ship in the closing minutes. Thompson drove just over the bar and Baz Shearsby went just wide with a reboiund after Blake headed against a post.
Cadden was full of praise for Eden. He said: "He brings that extra bit of quality. We went in ahead at half-time because one individual took the game by the scruff of the neck and scored two great goals."