League & Cup Results 2001/02
home -> leamington fc era -> results 2001/02 -> match report
Leamington 0 Rugby Town 1 - 29/04/02 - President's Cup Final

Against a backdrop of jets taking and landing off at the nearby airport, in a very gloomy sky, both teams took to the Damson Park pitch.  Leamington, in their white away strip, played towards their supporters populating the covered terracing away to our right. 

The opening exhanges saw a very tentative 10 minutes or so, with neither team wanting to make a mistake that could benifit the other side - very much "play it safe".  During this time, neither side managed to keep hold of the ball for a significant period of time - leading to a lot of balls in the air and being cleared.  As the game started to settle Leamington were playing to dominate the midfield -  attempting to put a few passes together before launching the ball forward for Blake to chase.  All this was played out against the background of the Brakes' fans, led by the North Bank, singing an entire repertoire of  songs to inspire the team.

The Rugby defence coped easily with the Leamington forward balls but the resulting clearances gave the opportunity for Thompson to launch several long throws into the penalty area which provided the main attacking threat for the Brakes.  At around the half hour mark Rugby seemed to become the more settled of the two sides and started using their wingers to create problems.  As the half neared its end Rugby were playing some neat football, getting the ball out wide and crossing it into the Leamington penalty area - using their pace to break quickly from their own half.  Leamington looked tired and were struggling to keep control of the ball - time and time again midfield passes missed their intended target.

With their fans decamped to the other end of the ground, Leamington started the second half much brighter.  Their midfield passes were finding feet, control was better, and there was a lot more movement from the players as they endeavored to get the ball forward.  Most forages forward ended in the opportunity for a long throw to be launched into the Rugby area or a free kick - but to be fair there still wasn't too much to trouble either goalkeeper.  The introduction of Wickson built on this bright period but Rugby were still soaking up the attacks and causing problems breaking down the wings.

Then, in the 79th minute, Rugby finally broke the deadlock with a neat shot into the corner.  From then on Leamington tried to exert some pressure, Dhesi was bought on, but Rugby defended well to keep them out.  There was a shout from the fans behind the goal for a late penalty but the referee kept his hands firmly behind his back.  Rugby held on, deservedly, for the win - to be honest neither team played particularly well though Rugby's speed on attacks had always looked more likely to grab a goal throughout the game.

The Leamington players were quick to acknowledge the fans behind the goal who had done their best to roar them on - approaching them to show their thanks.  This acknowledgement was returned as the players received their runners up medals.