League & Cup Results 2001/02
home -> leamington fc era -> results 2001/02 -> match report
Leamington 2 Wilmcote 3 - 23/02/02 - Midland Combination Division One

BrakesWeb second visit to the New Windmill this season was greeted by blustery winds and sleet.  Leamington tried their best to get one over Wilmcote at the start of the match by leaving them on the pitch for several minutes in the biting cold before emerging.  Wilmcote got their own back in the best way possible by attacking from the start and nicking an early goal in the first minute.

 Wilmcote then settled to cope with the conditions much quicker than Leamington, managing to keep the ball on the floor and feeding out to the wings.  Brakes' were trying to use more direct play but the wind put stop to any attempts at accurate long passes.  Despite Wilmcote's slight dominance Blake managed to get the ball in the net after a quarter of an hour but it was deemed offside. 
The visiting team then doubled their lead, following a poor clearance, and it looked very unlikely Leamington would get anything back before half-time, if at all.  But then, on the stroke of half-time, Dhesi put in some neat footwork by the halfway line, followed by a low accurate pass forward.  The ball was played on into the box and Timms finished at the second attempt to make it 2-1.

Wilmcote played Leamington at their own game by emerging late from the changing rooms but, as in the first half, this seemed to inspire the team who had been left freezing their bollocks off.  Leamington started playing the ball low and short to better effect.  An early substitution, seeing Agar come on for Care, added to the urgency - especially through the middle of the park.  But, despite this better period of play from the Brakes Wilmcote added to their lead after a very long ball from the back put their number 10 through from his own half to round Morris and make it 3-1.
Shortly after this goal Leamington made a double substitution to try and salvage something from the game.  Miyoba immediately made impact with several good runs down the right, putting in some good balls and earning corners.  The corners initally proved less than fruitful as Dhesi struggled to judge the wind resulting in many of them curling out of play or away from the danger area.  There then followed a series of corners from the opposite side which, aided by the wind behind them, caused problems in the Wilmcote penalty area and McGovern got the ball into the net.
Leamington then strove for an equaliser, with Morris coming up for corners, but the ever increasing wind along with some slightly dubious refereeing desisions didn't help the cause.  In the end Wilmcote deserved the points for coping with the conditions quickly, and the fans were only too happy to get off in to the warm.