League & Cup Results 2002/03
home -> leamington fc era -> results 2002/03 -> match report
Leamington 0 (2) Nuneaton Borough 6 (7) - 20/07/02 - Leamington Invitational Trophy 2nd Leg
Watched by a very respectable crowd (477) Leamington kicked off on a sunny, but blustery day, towards the Harbury Lane end.  Nuneaton settled quickly, straight away passing the ball neatly and demonstrating that they are definitely a good few leagues higher in the non-league Pyramid and looking likely to dominate the game.

After 10 minutes Leamington had settled too, passing the ball around, but with the final ball letting them down.  Nuneaton kept the majority of the possession, reducing Leamington to having to attack on the break, but good work, especially by Gregory, reduced them to long shots that didn't worry Sidhu in goal - Wickson also put in a crucial clearance from a cross.

After 25 minutes made the breakthrough they promised when a ball played to their left saw Sidhu come racing out for a ball that wasn't really his.  The receiving Borough player calmly lobbed the ball over the keepers head to the far post where it went in despite some frantic efforts on the line.

For the next 15 minutes or so Leamington, despite being on the back foot, managed to get back into the game - making long range chances for Timms and Mort - and held out the reasonably comfortably at the back.  Then, after a mix up in defending, Borough made it 2-0 with a tame shot and then set about outplaying Brakes for the 5 minutes before half-time.

Leamington made 2 changes at half time, Webb and Shearsby coming on for Burgess and Agar, but Nuneaton settled quickly and two goals in quick succession made the score 4-0 within 10 minutes of the re-start.  Sidhu was looking in hesitant in goal, especially when one on one with an attacker, choosing to stand and invite a shot rather than making himself "wide" and challenging the ball.

Nuneaton then continued to pass the ball with confidence, looking a class above Leamington, as they continued to press with long shots and corners.  They soon made it 5 in 57th minute.  Leamington bought on Eden in the 70th minute to play behind Nicholls and Shearsby, but even this added attacker didn't bring much rewards, and Borough made it 6-0 in the 74th minute.  With the Borough fans shouting "we want 10" Nuneaton carried on passing and attacking.

The introduction of Curphey and Stacey in the 77th minute almost bought a goal as Curphey, with his first touch, bought the ball down and fired the ball hard at the goalkeepers left - but the Boro keeper, making his only noticeable save of the game, pushed the ball for a corner.

To be fair, despite taking a hammering in the second half Leamington never resorted to long ball tactics, they patiently still tried to pass the ball up the field.  It would have been so easy for the players to lose heart and keep booting the ball in hope.  And it was against an established Conference side who had definitely come to win.  The only moan would be that Adams, despite making himself available in plenty of space on the right, wasn't utilised enough and too much play went up the left.